Monday, October 26, 2009

Goal Line Fumble? : Mississippi State vs Florida




No, I am not deliberately picking on the SEC officials, but damn they sure are bringing a lot of attention to themselves.

This Monday after the loss on Saturday to the Gators, head coach Dan Mullen for Mississippi State, decided he would take it upon himself to call out these officials.

I don't have conclusive video evidence that this was the wrong call, so I wont sway either way. But the fact that we have yet another call in a marquee SEC game that benefits the better team late in the game might put you on Mullen's side of the fence.

The game was 16-13 and Florida is driving. They eventually score and make it 23-13. A score that no one thought would be as close as it was. Mississippi State was pushing the defending National Champions to their limits.

On the Bulldogs next drive, a pass is batted up into the air and intercepted by Dustin Doe, a linebacker for Florida. As he is heading towards the end zone, he begins to "high-step" in celebration, when the ball is suddenly smacked from his hand.

Is he over the goal line already? Or did he fumble prior to crossing it making it a touch back and Mississippi State's ball?

You make the call:

(NOTE: Scan to the 3:40 mark to see the exact moment. The person who edited the video cuts away right at the moment of the ball being slapped. He obviously is a Florida fan, so I guess I don't blame him for doing so. )



Here is another video that is just highlights from the game. The interception is included, but it is still hard to tell whether or not the ball crosses the goal line before being fumbled:




Now although this isn't the clearest of calls. Dan Mullen shared his anger with the media this Monday and had this to say about the call:

"To me, I'm going to find out who that video replay was. I've seen it over and over, views of the ball being out of his hand before he crossed the goal line. That's twice that a SEC replay official - I don't know why we even have replay right now in the Southeastern Conference if they are not going to utilize it. That's twice that they've blown calls on the replay with our games resulting in big plays and I think that's unexcusable for that official. I mean, I hope he is severely punished, if (he) ever works another SEC game again, because I think it is completely unacceptable.

"I can understand making a bad call in a live speed on a game like the offsides call. There's no excuse for a guy that has the amount of time to replay the video to make sure they get the call right. That's why we do instant replay. And I think it's embarrassing that they blew that call. I've seen the still shots with the ball out of his hand. So I don't think that's acceptable on a guy that is not watching it in live speed, has the ability to watch all the different angles."


I hear you loud and clear Mr. Mullen. Loud and clear.



http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/10/25/mullen-its-embarrassing-that-they-blew-that-call/

No comments:

Post a Comment